Tuesday, March 19, 2019

The TAVR Procedure and Other Medical Advances

During my 50 years of medical practice I've witnessed some pretty dramatic changes. As examples I can still recall the amazement I felt the first time I saw the results of coronary angiograms before and after angioplasty showing blockages eliminated. Likewise when I first viewed a 3 dimensional echocardiogram showing the ventricles contracting and the valves moving inside the heart. These things have advanced greatly and are now commonplace, matter of fact techniques but were breathtaking events at the time.

 

Even so for a new report I just saw from the ongoing annual American College of Cardiology meeting regarding the TAVR procedure, the technique of replacing a constricted aortic valve, the main one leading from the heart, by a device passed by a catheter from the groin instead of by a major surgical procedure. The procedure, initially restricted to those who were too frail to undergo surgery, has been  advancing in its use over a few short years. New studies reported in the meeting indicate that it is working as well or better than the surgical approach in low risk patients as well. There are some lingering questions about how long the replaced valves will function. However there is no doubt that treatment of this lethal condition, which was a death sentence at the start of my career, is being transformed before our eyes to one which will be easily treated, perhaps without even a hospital stay.

 

I've seen many other similar medical miracles in other areas, but this one caught my eye and I couldn't resist mentioning it. What a privilege it has been to be a participant in applying these advances as they've come along to patients. But mostly I have to give tribute and profess the greatest admiration to the pioneers and innovators who are inspired to seek new ways and go through the very difficult process of developing their dreams for the benefit of the rest of us.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

No comments: