Monday, August 22, 2016

Trending in Retail Sales

I ordered something on Amazon which was by an outside provider which gave free shipping. It got sent by DHL which is apparently a German company which picks up packages locally and delivers them to USPS. It cuts the price of shipping down.
The retail market looks to me to be moving rapidly toward internet purchase with home delivery. My order was for tape that I use to prevent blisters when I golf. I was getting it at KMart but I got it online cheaper with home delivery. I just had to wait 3 or 4 days but that wasn't a problem.
So we went from everyone living on farms and buying what they needed at the general store, to mail order delivered by Sears and Montgomery Ward, to people herding from farms into cities and going to A&P's and Woolworths, and then as we got more mobile moving to suburbs and going to malls, and then going to Wal-Mart superstores with everything under one roof and now shopping on-line with delivery. It's fascinating. The big winners are those who can anticipate how society is going to move. I wonder where we're going next. Anyone know?
 

No comments: